Are you interested in volunteering for a Sikh Charity?
City Sikhs has been running a Volunteer Ambassador scheme for a number of years which provides individuals with an opportunity to volunteer their time and skills.
- We are looking for individuals who have a calling to give back to society and who may have accumulated expertise in diverse areas of professional and personal life.
Benefits of Volunteering:
- Increase your volunteering profile on LinkedIn with an established charity recognised in Interfaith circles, Government and Media.
- Meet new people from diverse backgrounds and expand your professional network
- Have an opportunity to practice Guru Gobind Singh’s teachings of giving through ਤਨ Tann (physical service), ਮਨ Mann (mental service through leveraging your expertise and skills), ਧਨ Dhan (wealth)
- Give back to the community and get invitations to prestigious events in London
- Help represent the Sikh community at a variety of events and learn more about the Sikh religion and culture
- Gain expertise in a new skill set or develop an existing skill set
- Invites to exclusive bi-annual Ambassador networking dinners to meet other active Ambassadors
- There is no specific time commitment you need to make, you are welcome to be involved as little or as much as you wish.
- You can remain an ambassador for an indefinite period of time with the minimum duration being 1 year.
- All Ambassadors a requested to provide a monthly donation to City Sikhs as per the income brackets explained on our donation page for the duration of their time as an Ambassador.
The Application Process:
You can apply to join as a Volunteer Ambassador at any time in the year although we only review applications twice a year in Jun/July and Dec/Jan so it may be up to 6 months before you hear from us. If you have not heard from us after 8 months then it is likely that your initial application was unsuccessful. We would encourage you to meet one of the team at an event in person and reapply giving as much supporting information as possible and the name of the team member you spoke with. The application form can take 30+ minutes to complete due to the amount of information which we request.
The following process is the general flow that candidates pass through:
- Complete and submit your application online
- Receive an email with joining instructions and 7 days to accept a volunteer ambassador position from the date of the email
- Welcome call from one of the team answering any questions you may have about City Sikhs and your new role
- Addition to the Amassador Whatsapp group where you will receive a warm welcome from the other Ambassadors and where you will then receive details of all upcoming opportunities to represent City Sikhs, external faith, interfaith events etc.
ਗੁਰਸਿਖਾ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਸੇਵਾ ਲਾਇਆ। ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਕਰਿ ਸੇਵ ਸੁਖ ਫਲੁ ਪਾਇਆ।
The Sikhs of the Guru inspire the Sikhs of the Guru to serve. Serving the holy congregation they receive the fruit of happiness.Bhai Gurdas ji
ਸੇਵਾ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਸਬਦਿ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਏ ॥ ਹਉਮੈ ਮਾਰਿ ਸਦਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹੁ ਚੁਕਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੧॥
Center your awareness on seva-selfless service-and focus your consciousness on the Word of the Shabad. Subduing your ego, you shall find a lasting peace, and your emotional attachment to Maya will be dispelled. ||1||Shri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Ang. 165
ਕਰਨ ਕਰਾਵਨਹਾਰ ਸੁਆਮੀ ॥ ਸਗਲ ਘਟਾ ਕੇ ਅੰਤਰਜਾਮੀ ॥ ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਅਪਨੀ ਸੇਵਾ ਲਾਇ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾਸ ਤੇਰੀ ਸਰਣਾਇ ॥੪॥੩੧॥੪੪॥
Our Lord and Master is the Creator, the Cause of causes. He is the Inner-knower, the Searcher of all hearts. Bless me with Your Grace, Lord, and link me to Your service. Slave Nanak has come to Your Sanctuary. ||4||31||44||Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Ang. 1148